By : Roberto Savio
Roberto Savio is co-founder of Inter Press Service (IPS) news agency and its President Emeritus. He is also publisher of OtherNews.
ROME, Feb 21 2017 (IPS) - Let us stop debating what newly-elected US President Trump is doing or might do and look at him in terms of historical importance. Put simply, Trump marks the end of an American cycle!
ROME, Jul 26 2016 (IPS) - A Chinese curse is “May you live in interesting times”. That meant that too many events would disrupt the essential elements of harmony, on which the Chinese pantheon is based.
We certainly live in very interesting times where every day dramatic events pile on us, from terrorism to coup d’etat, from climate disaster to the decline of institutions and ever increasing social turmoil. It would be important, even if very difficult, to look in a nutshell why we are in this situation now – “lack of harmony” . So here goes a dramatically compressed explanation.
ROME, Jul 8 2016 (IPS) - A sign of the time is that Germany is raising a revolt against the President of the European Commission, Jeam-Claude Juncker, whom Chancellor Angela Merkel imposed in 2014 after a strong fight with David Cameron, then a powerful British PM. The group of Visograd, , formed by Poland, Hungary, Slovaquia and the Czech Republic, which resurged from ashes, to become an anti Brussels voice, has requested to bring back the Commission under the authority of the States. When Merkel organized a meeting of the leaders of the six original founders of the EU, in Berlin, she invited Donald Tusk, the President of the Council, but not Jean-Claude Juncker, who is the President of the Commission. And Wolfgang Schauble, the German minister of Finance, has launched an appeal: “it is time to bring back Brussels under the control of the states. “
ROME, May 23 2016 (IPS) - No mention in the media of the dangerous increase in tension between Europe and Russia. But Nato has just made operational in Romania a missile system, the ABM, which the US has declared will protect from “rogue” states, like Iran.
It is no coincidence that Boutros Boutros-Ghali was the only Secretary General in the history of the United Nations able to serve only one term instead of the two that have become traditional. The United States vetoed his re-election, in spite of the favourable vote of the other members of the Security Council. Boutros Boutros-Ghali, […]
IPS Daily Report
- Wise People Know That Winning a War Is No Better Than Losing One September 18, 2020 External Source
- Helping Make Education a Reality for the 75 million Children in Conflict Zones September 18, 2020 IPS Correspondents
- After 75 Years, UN Claims 50:50 Gender Parity, But Falls Short of its Ultimate Goals September 18, 2020 Thalif Deen
- Philanthropy’s Role in the Missing Global Architecture September 17, 2020 Marcel Arsenault
- Education Cannot Wait Mobilizes an Additional US$23.6 Million to Increase Support for Vulnerable Children and Youth – Already Affected by Armed Conflict, Forced Displacement and Protracted Crises – Now Doubly Hit by COVID-19 Pandemic September 17, 2020 PRESS RELEASE