Jomo Kwame Sundaram & Anis Chowdhury
SYDNEY and KUALA LUMPUR, Nov 2 2020 (IPS) - US third quarter GDP numbers released two weeks ago delighted stock markets and President Trump. Output had picked up by 7.4%, annualised as 33.1%, the largest quarterly economic growth on record, almost double the old record of 3.9% (annualised as 16.7%) in the first quarter of 1950, seven decades ago.
KUALA LUMPUR and SYDNEY, Sep 1 2020 (IPS) - After accusing the World Health Organization (WHO) of pro-China bias, President Donald Trump announced US withdrawal from the UN agency. Although the US created the UN system for the post-Second World War new international order, Washington has often had to struggle in recent decades to ensure that it continues to serve changing US interests.
SYDNEY and KUALA LUMPUR, Jul 7 2020 (IPS) - In his early February annual State of the Union address, US President Donald Trump typically hailed his own policies for increasing wages and jobs to achieve record low US unemployment. Directly appealing to labour for a second term, Trump claimed exclusive credit for the US “blue-collar boom”.
SYDNEY and KUALA LUMPUR, Feb 25 2020 (IPS) - Meeting the President of the Republic of Korea in September 2019, President Donald J Trump bragged that the “US economy is the envy of the world”. Trump reiterated such claims in his State of the Union address in early February, hailing his own policies with typical humility.
IPS Daily Report
- Fighting Loss of the Greater Mekong’s Prized Rosewood Forests November 30, 2021 Catherine Wilson
- How to Tackle the Femicide Epidemic November 30, 2021 Jade Levell
- Profiting from the Carbon Offset Distraction November 30, 2021 Anis Chowdhury and Jomo Kwame Sundaram
- High Global Fertiliser Prices Overshadow Malawi’s Farm Subsidy Programme November 29, 2021 Charles Mpaka
- Pakistan: Gender-Intentional Policy Can Make Agent Banking Work Better November 29, 2021 Kathryn Imboden and Naeha Rashid