Jomo Kwame Sundaram & Anis Chowdhury
SYDNEY and KUALA LUMPUR, Nov 2 2020 (IPS) - US third quarter GDP numbers released two weeks ago delighted stock markets and President Trump. Output had picked up by 7.4%, annualised as 33.1%, the largest quarterly economic growth on record, almost double the old record of 3.9% (annualised as 16.7%) in the first quarter of 1950, seven decades ago.
KUALA LUMPUR and SYDNEY, Sep 1 2020 (IPS) - After accusing the World Health Organization (WHO) of pro-China bias, President Donald Trump announced US withdrawal from the UN agency. Although the US created the UN system for the post-Second World War new international order, Washington has often had to struggle in recent decades to ensure that it continues to serve changing US interests.
SYDNEY and KUALA LUMPUR, Jul 7 2020 (IPS) - In his early February annual State of the Union address, US President Donald Trump typically hailed his own policies for increasing wages and jobs to achieve record low US unemployment. Directly appealing to labour for a second term, Trump claimed exclusive credit for the US “blue-collar boom”.
SYDNEY and KUALA LUMPUR, Feb 25 2020 (IPS) - Meeting the President of the Republic of Korea in September 2019, President Donald J Trump bragged that the “US economy is the envy of the world”. Trump reiterated such claims in his State of the Union address in early February, hailing his own policies with typical humility.
IPS Daily Report
- The Importance of Being Listed: Why Politics Threaten the Protection of Children in Armed Conflict June 22, 2021 Matthew Wells
- Three Million in Three Years: Jamaica’s Tree-Planting to Tackle Climate Change June 22, 2021 Kate Chappell
- Boldly Finance Recovery to Build Forward Better June 22, 2021 Anis Chowdhury and Jomo Kwame Sundaram
- Sowing Water: A Cuban Farm’s Bid for Sustainability June 21, 2021 Luis Brizuela
- Canada Must Acknowledge its Problematic Bill 21 June 21, 2021 Sania Farooqui