Water & Sanitation
WASHINGTON DC, Apr 4 2019 (IPS) - While residents across Prince Rupert, British Columbia are once again able to get safe drinking water from their taps, the boil-water advisory lifted there in late January should not be forgotten. Canada is a freshwater-rich country, but the time for complacency on essential water issues has long passed. Most people living in Canada have access to safe water. But drinking water advisories in the country about unsafe water have been concentrated in First Nation communities.
KLAMATH, California, USA , Sep 13 2018 (IPS) - Fishermen are scarce in the Klamath River delta, unlike other fishing season, because climate change has driven up water temperatures which kills off the salmon, the flagship species of this region in northern California.
UNITED NATIONS, Jun 8 2018 (IPS) - Human rights issues must be included in next week’s United States-North Korea summit in order to create a “sustainable agreement”, said a UN expert.
ROME, Aug 23 2016 (IPS) - “Every evening, millions of people all over the world will settle into their armchairs to watch some TV after a hard day at work. Many will have a snack or something to drink…(more…)
– In recent days, two major developments have injected new life into international action on climate change. At the G20 summit in Australia, the United States pledged 3 billion dollars and Japan pledged 1.5 billion dollars to the Green Climate Fund (GCF), bringing total donations up to 7.5 billion so far. The GCF, established through […]
The U.S. government will soon begin receiving public suggestions on how federal regulators should update their oversight of toxic chemicals in the workplace. The new information-gathering process, which began last week and will continue for the next six months, could result in the first major overhaul of related regulations in more than four decades. Of […]
Canada’s tar sands oil boom may be in jeopardy and it appears the ruling Conservative government of Prime Minister Stephen Harper does not have any plan B in its ambition to remake this resource-rich country into “an energy superpower.” “This is one of the sectors that creates some of the most jobs, not just in […]
IPS Daily Report
- Building Back Greener in Africa July 7, 2020 Umberto Labate
- Innovative Financial Approaches Key to Unleash SIDS Economic Potential July 7, 2020 Ambassador Lois M Young
- Online Education Moved to Top of Agenda by Indian State after IPS Reports Risks of Unequal Access July 7, 2020 Manipadma Jena
- Non-formal Education Helps Senegalese Women Combat FGM and Harmful Practices July 7, 2020 Stella Paul
- Donald Trump, Working Class Hero? July 7, 2020 Anis Chowdhury and Jomo Kwame Sundaram