IPS/Inter Press Service – North America, Inc. was established in July 1997 as a not-for-profit corporation in the State of New York . The Organisation is exempt from income taxes under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. The purpose of the Organisation is to enhance the free flow and dissemination of newsworthy information to and from developing nations to the North American media, non-governmental organisations (NGOs), policy-makers at the United Nations and specialised UN agencies, learning institutions and other organisations that are involved in social, economic and educational issues affecting primarily developing countries.
Our news service aims to strengthen South-South and South-North flows of information by making news about the developing world available to these entities.
Specially edited for the region’s readership, the news service distributed by IPS North America is a selection of independent, international news and features or services which focus on reporting global processes and issues of development in the countries of the South.
As part of what is known as “development journalism”, our news service aims to help correct the imbalance of news provided by the mainstream media by providing contextualised news that focuses less on specific news events and more on the processes, institutions and trends which make those events understandable to readers , from U.S. environmental policy to the work of the World Bank and the United Nations system.
IPS Daily Report
- International Aid Feeds Hope and Fuels Confrontation in Venezuela February 16, 2019 Humberto Marquez
- Dismantling Sexual Health Stigma in India February 15, 2019 Natasha Chaudhary
- Q&A: Suriname’s President Champions Preserving the World’s Forests February 15, 2019 Desmond Brown
- Bringing #MeToo to the Fashion Industry February 15, 2019 Tharanga Yakupitiyage
- ‘Today, We Declare Our Love to Our Forests and Ecosystems’ February 15, 2019 Desmond Brown