STOCKHOLM / ROME, Jul 29 2020 (IPS) - On Friday the 24th of June, President Trump announced he was skipping a weekend at his New Jersey golf resort to ”ensure law and order in Washington”, tweeting:
- I just had the privilege of signing a very strong Executive Order protecting American Monuments, Memorials, and Statues – and combatting recent Criminal Violence. Long prison terms for these lawless acts against our Great Country!
MIAMI, Jul 10 2020 (IPS) - “As we were saying yesterday.” When, after an abnormal interruption of the school calendar, as happened recently with the extension of spring break (which does not coincide with “Easter”), I return to teach a class surprising my students with this phrase: “as we were saying yesterday. “
SYDNEY and KUALA LUMPUR, Jul 7 2020 (IPS) - In his early February annual State of the Union address, US President Donald Trump typically hailed his own policies for increasing wages and jobs to achieve record low US unemployment. Directly appealing to labour for a second term, Trump claimed exclusive credit for the US “blue-collar boom”.
BUFFALO, New York, Jun 23 2020 (IPS) - Police forces across the United States have committed widespread and egregious human rights violations in response to largely peaceful assemblies protesting systemic racism and police violence, including the killing of Black people.
UNITED NATIONS, Jun 10 2020 (IPS) - I want to once again express to all colleagues my enormous appreciation, my enormous gratitude, for your fantastic professionalism, your flexibility and the way you have been able to fully deliver for the people we care for during this period.
NEW YORK, Jun 4 2020 (IPS) - The United States has been a story of broken dreams and broken glass this past week.
Once again, an unarmed black man died at the hands of a white police officer, with George Floyd being pinned to the ground under a lawman’s knee in Minneapolis, Minnesota, as stunned passersby made cell-phone videos of the incident to post on social media.
As the COVID-19 pandemic worsened in April, many Americans were shocked by the extent that black Americans were being disproportionately impacted: higher infection rates, more deaths and greater job loss. But many black Americans were not surprised. This is not new. The same dynamic has been going on at times of crisis for decades and […]
MEXICO CITY, Apr 21 2020 (IPS) - As the high season for agricultural labour in the United States approaches, tens of thousands of migrant workers from Mexico are getting ready to head to the fields in their northern neighbour to carry out the work that ensures that food makes it to people’s tables.
ILLINOIS, United States, Apr 6 2020 (IPS) - During a crisis, such as the novel coronavirus, whose impact changes with every passing minute, the urge to listen to and watch the news, and get firsthand insights and real time updates can be constant. Indeed, millions of Americans are frequently checking the news. I know I am. What I’ve noticed on three of the major TV stations I’ve watched across the day is the absence of diversity in the experts commenting on the pandemic. This is inexcusable.
IPS Daily Report
- Kashmir Now Hotspot of Illegal Riverbed Mining August 3, 2020 Athar Parvaiz
- With Proper Investment in Youth, Kenya’s Potential for Progress Is Unlimited August 3, 2020 Ruth Kagia and Siddharth Chatterjee
- SDGs: Accelerating Action & Transformative Pathways through Nature-based Solutions August 3, 2020 Haoliang Xu
- The COVID-19 Plastic Pandemic August 3, 2020 Sonia Awale and Ramesh Kumar
- Why the African Free Trade Area Could be the Game-Changer for the Continent’s Economies August 2, 2020 External Source