By : Anis Chowdhury and Jomo Kwame Sundaram
SYDNEY and KUALA LUMPUR, Nov 2 2020 (IPS) - US third quarter GDP numbers released two weeks ago delighted stock markets and President Trump. Output had picked up by 7.4%, annualised as 33.1%, the largest quarterly economic growth on record, almost double the old record of 3.9% (annualised as 16.7%) in the first quarter of 1950, seven decades ago.
SYDNEY and KUALA LUMPUR, Jul 7 2020 (IPS) - In his early February annual State of the Union address, US President Donald Trump typically hailed his own policies for increasing wages and jobs to achieve record low US unemployment. Directly appealing to labour for a second term, Trump claimed exclusive credit for the US “blue-collar boom”.
SYDNEY and KUALA LUMPUR, Feb 25 2020 (IPS) - Meeting the President of the Republic of Korea in September 2019, President Donald J Trump bragged that the “US economy is the envy of the world”. Trump reiterated such claims in his State of the Union address in early February, hailing his own policies with typical humility.
IPS Daily Report
- Sustainable Measures Help Farmers Script a Positive Story Amid COVID-19 Uncertainty November 26, 2020 Stella Paul
- G20 Puts More into Fossil Than Green Energy in Covid-19 Recovery Packages November 26, 2020 Fermin Koop
- Millions of New Poor Are on the Way – Who Cares? November 26, 2020 Roberto Savio
- Can Africa’s Third Industrial Development Decade Deliver? November 26, 2020 Jenny Larsen
- Q&A: Mro Indigenous Community Plea for Halt of Construction of 5-Star Hotel November 25, 2020 Samira Sadeque