By : Anis Chowdhury and Jomo Kwame Sundaram
SYDNEY and KUALA LUMPUR, Nov 2 2020 (IPS) - US third quarter GDP numbers released two weeks ago delighted stock markets and President Trump. Output had picked up by 7.4%, annualised as 33.1%, the largest quarterly economic growth on record, almost double the old record of 3.9% (annualised as 16.7%) in the first quarter of 1950, seven decades ago.
SYDNEY and KUALA LUMPUR, Jul 7 2020 (IPS) - In his early February annual State of the Union address, US President Donald Trump typically hailed his own policies for increasing wages and jobs to achieve record low US unemployment. Directly appealing to labour for a second term, Trump claimed exclusive credit for the US “blue-collar boom”.
SYDNEY and KUALA LUMPUR, Feb 25 2020 (IPS) - Meeting the President of the Republic of Korea in September 2019, President Donald J Trump bragged that the “US economy is the envy of the world”. Trump reiterated such claims in his State of the Union address in early February, hailing his own policies with typical humility.
IPS Daily Report
- Latin America & the Caribbean Assess Climate Ambition and Action Ahead of COP26 May 13, 2021 Alison Kentish
- Russia’s Sputnik Diplomacy May 13, 2021 Valentina Lares
- Reimagining Education with Imagination May 12, 2021 Yasmine Sherif
- COVID-19 Brings Fresh Challenges to Nigeria’s Leprosy-affected May 12, 2021 Sam Olukoya
- It Takes a Community to Defeat COVID-19 May 12, 2021 Shubha Nagesh and Ifeanyi Nsofor