By : Jan Lundius
STOCKHOLM / ROME, Mar 3 2020 (IPS) - The great American impeachment show has ended not with a bang, but with a whimper. The dirt was washed away from President Trump, the perfect Teflon Guy. Maybe his invulnerability comes from the fact that he appears to be more of a brand than a real person, adapted to a frame of mind that increasingly dominates social media – cheap entertainment, shallowness, vulgarity, invectives, and catchy phrases without support in well-founded facts. Trump is all and nothing, a shape shifting trickster pretending to be the role model for voiceless masses.
STOCKHOLM / ROME, Jun 17 2019 (IPS) - A friend of mine who became wealthy as an art dealer but eventually lost his fortune told me: “Money isn´t everything, but it helps.” This made me think of Donald Trump, who likes to describe himself as an entrepreneur, i.e. ”owner of a business enterprise who, by risk and initiative, attempts to make profits.”1 The keyword is profits. According to Trump, success is measured through wealth. Like chess and poker, entrepreneurship is about winning and losing. Trump characterizes people he dislikes as losers, while he considers himself to be a winner.
IPS Daily Report
- Building Back Greener in Africa July 7, 2020 Umberto Labate
- Innovative Financial Approaches Key to Unleash SIDS Economic Potential July 7, 2020 Ambassador Lois M Young
- Online Education Moved to Top of Agenda by Indian State after IPS Reports Risks of Unequal Access July 7, 2020 Manipadma Jena
- Non-formal Education Helps Senegalese Women Combat FGM and Harmful Practices July 7, 2020 Stella Paul
- Donald Trump, Working Class Hero? July 7, 2020 Anis Chowdhury and Jomo Kwame Sundaram