By : Kenton X. Chance
KINGSTOWN, Nov 6 2018 (IPS) - As a child growing up in Mayreau four decades ago, Filius “Philman” Ollivierre remembers a 70-foot-wide span of land, with the sea on either side that made the rest of the 1.5-square mile island one with Mount Carbuit.
ROAD TOWN, British Virgin Islands, Sep 15 2017 (IPS) - When Hurricane Irma ripped through the British Virgins Islands on Sept. 6, claiming seven lives, injuring an unknown number of people and destroying built infrastructure as well as significantly damaging the natural environment, the ferocity of the storm shocked many of the islands’ residents, including 72-year-old Egbert Smith, who has lived through plenty of severe storms.
KINGSTOWN, St. Vincent, Aug 31 2017 (IPS) - The government of St. Vincent and the Grenadines says it hopes that the devastating loss and damage that Hurricane Harvey has wrought in Texas might inspire the government of President Donald Trump to rethink its position on climate change.
KINGSTOWN, St. Vincent, Jul 4 2017 (IPS) - A leading climate change mitigation and adaptation activist and former climate negotiator in the Caribbean says that the United States could protect its economic and political interest by helping the region to go green.
IPS Daily Report
- International Aid Feeds Hope and Fuels Confrontation in Venezuela February 16, 2019 Humberto Marquez
- Dismantling Sexual Health Stigma in India February 15, 2019 Natasha Chaudhary
- Q&A: Suriname’s President Champions Preserving the World’s Forests February 15, 2019 Desmond Brown
- Bringing #MeToo to the Fashion Industry February 15, 2019 Tharanga Yakupitiyage
- ‘Today, We Declare Our Love to Our Forests and Ecosystems’ February 15, 2019 Desmond Brown