By : Kenton X. Chance
KINGSTOWN, Nov 6 2018 (IPS) - As a child growing up in Mayreau four decades ago, Filius “Philman” Ollivierre remembers a 70-foot-wide span of land, with the sea on either side that made the rest of the 1.5-square mile island one with Mount Carbuit.
ROAD TOWN, British Virgin Islands, Sep 15 2017 (IPS) - When Hurricane Irma ripped through the British Virgins Islands on Sept. 6, claiming seven lives, injuring an unknown number of people and destroying built infrastructure as well as significantly damaging the natural environment, the ferocity of the storm shocked many of the islands’ residents, including 72-year-old Egbert Smith, who has lived through plenty of severe storms.
KINGSTOWN, St. Vincent, Aug 31 2017 (IPS) - The government of St. Vincent and the Grenadines says it hopes that the devastating loss and damage that Hurricane Harvey has wrought in Texas might inspire the government of President Donald Trump to rethink its position on climate change.
KINGSTOWN, St. Vincent, Jul 4 2017 (IPS) - A leading climate change mitigation and adaptation activist and former climate negotiator in the Caribbean says that the United States could protect its economic and political interest by helping the region to go green.
IPS Daily Report
- Lessons From China: Fostering Agricultural Growth and Poverty Reduction April 18, 2019 Daud Khan
- ‘You Cannot Muzzle the Media’: Nigerian Journalists on Press Freedom under Buhari April 17, 2019 Jonathan Rozen
- Pakistan’s Battle Against Climate Change April 17, 2019 Mushahid Hussain
- Nicaraguans “Will Not Be Silenced” April 17, 2019 Tharanga Yakupitiyage
- U.S. Needs to Shift to More Sustainable Agriculture—As Do All Countries April 17, 2019 James Jeffrey