IPS UN: Inside the Glasshouse
STOCKHOLM / ROME, Jul 29 2020 (IPS) - On Friday the 24th of June, President Trump announced he was skipping a weekend at his New Jersey golf resort to ”ensure law and order in Washington”, tweeting:
- I just had the privilege of signing a very strong Executive Order protecting American Monuments, Memorials, and Statues – and combatting recent Criminal Violence. Long prison terms for these lawless acts against our Great Country!
UNITED NATIONS, Jun 10 2020 (IPS) - I want to once again express to all colleagues my enormous appreciation, my enormous gratitude, for your fantastic professionalism, your flexibility and the way you have been able to fully deliver for the people we care for during this period.
NEW YORK, Jun 4 2020 (IPS) - The United States has been a story of broken dreams and broken glass this past week.
Once again, an unarmed black man died at the hands of a white police officer, with George Floyd being pinned to the ground under a lawman’s knee in Minneapolis, Minnesota, as stunned passersby made cell-phone videos of the incident to post on social media.
UNITED NATIONS, Apr 1 2020 (IPS) - The deadly, fast-spreading coronavirus which upended three key UN conferences—on the empowerment of women, on nuclear disarmament and on indigenous rights—claimed another casualty last week when a commemorative meeting on the transatlantic slave trade was postponed.
UNITED NATIONS, Mar 5 2020 (IPS) - Ambassador Mona Juul started her role as the Permanent Representative of Norway to the United Nations in January 2019, and is also the president of the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC).
UNITED NATIONS, Feb 19 2020 (IPS) - A report released last week has detailed the complex ways in which President Donald Trump’s ‘Global Gag Rule’ (GGR), that blocks U.S. global health assistance to foreign non-governmental facilities providing abortion or abortion-related services, is affecting the population in Malawi, a country already hard hit with numerous climate change disasters.
UNITED NATIONS, Jan 13 2020 (IPS) - While the United States is busy with foreign operations such as killing Qasem Soleimani, a key figure in Middle East Politics, behind the scenes it is reportedly considering a change that experts worry might be of grave concern: a potential withdrawal of troops from West Africa.
UNITED NATIONS, Oct 8 2019 (IPS) - Movie star Cate Blanchett and businessman Richard Branson spoke up this week for the millions of people around the world who cannot get passports and other papers because they lack an official nationality.
UNITED NATIONS, Oct 2 2019 (IPS) - Financiers in Wall Street, the City of London and other banking centres should play a bigger role in freeing the millions of people who endure slave-like working conditions globally, according to a new study.
UNITED NATIONS, Sep 26 2019 (IPS) - Speaking in New York during the United Nations General Assembly’s opening day, United States President Donald Trump continued to float the idea that he should be awarded a Nobel Prize, but that would never happen because the system was rigged.
IPS Daily Report
- Q&A: COVID-19 has Pushed Women Peacebuilders from Key Leadership Roles October 30, 2020 Samira Sadeque
- US Groups Linked to COVID Conspiracies Pour Millions of ‘Dark Money’ into Latin America October 30, 2020 Diana Cariboni and Isabella Cota
- The rise in plastic pollution during Covid-19 crisis October 30, 2020 Farah Kabir and Anhara Rabbani
- 20th Anniversary of UNSCR 1325: Much Remains to Be Done October 30, 2020 Ambassador Anwarul K. Chowdhury
- In the Face of a Pandemic, the World Turns to Trade October 29, 2020 Emilio Godoy