IPS UN: Inside the Glasshouse
UNITED NATIONS, Apr 11 2019 (IPS) - While figures have dropped, the “inhuman” use of the death penalty still remains too common worldwide, a human rights group said.
NEW YORK, Apr 9 2019 (IPS) - Prostitution policies are bubbling up again in legislative circles across the United States, but few representatives seem to have much clarity on the issue. 2020 presidential candidate Senator Kamala Harris has given mixed messages on her thinking, while Bernie Sanders has said he simply has “no answer.”
UNITED NATIONS, Mar 19 2019 (IPS) - Modern slavery and human trafficking is one of the fastest growing criminal industries and one of the biggest human rights crises today, United Nations and government officials said.
UNITED NATIONS, Mar 9 2019 (IPS) - The international community must extend protections for Venezuelans in light of a growing humanitarian crisis with no end in sight.
Human Rights Watch has urged governments in the Americas to provide temporary protection to the millions of Venezuelans fleeing a severe humanitarian crisis.
UNITED NATIONS, Mar 8 2019 (IPS) - It is time to rise up and fight a long neglected taboo: menstruation.
Marking International Women’s Day, United Nations human rights experts called on the international community to break taboos around menstruation, noting its impacts on women and girls’ human rights.
The global #MeToo movement has put a spotlight on sexual harassment and violence in various industries including the film and music industries. Is it now time for the fashion industry to address these issues within their supply chains, one organisation says. Coinciding with the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) Forum on Due Diligence […]
IPS Daily Report
- Lessons From China: Fostering Agricultural Growth and Poverty Reduction April 18, 2019 Daud Khan
- ‘You Cannot Muzzle the Media’: Nigerian Journalists on Press Freedom under Buhari April 17, 2019 Jonathan Rozen
- Pakistan’s Battle Against Climate Change April 17, 2019 Mushahid Hussain
- Nicaraguans “Will Not Be Silenced” April 17, 2019 Tharanga Yakupitiyage
- U.S. Needs to Shift to More Sustainable Agriculture—As Do All Countries April 17, 2019 James Jeffrey