Migration & Refugees
SAN FRANCISCO, California, US, Jul 18 2019 (IPS) - On the 2,000-mile journey from San Pedro Sula, Honduras, to the US-Mexico border, the 20-year-old asylum seeker and her 16-year-old brother took turns sleeping every time they managed to catch a ride or get on a bus. She told me they kept each other safe that way.
UNITED NATIONS, Jun 13 2019 (IPS) - While cities around the world have been providing safe havens to refugees, a few US cities in the Upstate New York region have been integrating refugees and asylum-seekers into their communities.
MIAMI, Mar 22 2019 (IPS) - South Florida has long been known as a haven for refugees and migrants. Widely referred to as the “gateway to Latin America”, 1 in every 5 Florida residents is an immigrant. Significantly, the “sunshine state” welcomes 1,000 new settlers every day.
NEW YORK, Feb 12 2019 (IPS) - One chilly afternoon in November 2005, Hilarino came by Pedro’s house in Oaxaca, Mexico, driving a shiny red car.
“Pedro!” he shouted, “We are leaving in March. There is a route North to the U.S. that passes along the sea.”
UNITED NATIONS, Jan 22 2019 (IPS) - One month on since the Global Compact for Migration was approved, civil society has highlighted the need to turn words into action, supporting those who have been displaced or forced to migrate as a result of environmental degradation.
UNITED NATIONS, Jan 10 2019 (IPS) - In light of the millions of refugees escaping persecution in search of a safer, more prosperous future, a new campaign aims to raise awareness of the difficult journeys such populations take around the world.
IPS Daily Report
- Russia and Syria in the Spotlight for Latest Idlib Medic Deaths August 16, 2019 James Reinl
- A Key Role for 1.8 Billion Youth in UN’s 2030 Development Agenda August 16, 2019 Thalif Deen
- Establishing a Science & Technology Park is No Walk in the Park August 16, 2019 Tengfei Wang
- Forests, Food & Farming Next Frontier in Climate Emergency August 16, 2019 Ruth Richardson
- Producing Energy from Pig and Poultry Waste in Brazil August 16, 2019 Mario Osava